Provincial politics don’t really affect municipal politics, right? They’re two different things, aren’t they?
Not quite. In many ways provincial politics and municipal politics are distinct, but the two jurisdictions do impact each other. Read on to find out why it’s important to vote in provincial elections if you care about city politics.
How do provincial politics impact the City?
The provincial government influences municipal governments in a number of ways, including but not limited to:
Local Authorities Elections Act
- This provincial act governs municipal elections by establishing procedures around campaigning, voting, and counting of votes.
- Major infrastructure funding
- In 2023, the Municipal Sustainability Initiative (MSI) was replaced by the Local Government Fiscal Framework Act, a provincial act which establishes a framework for providing infrastructure funding to all Alberta municipalities beginning in 2024/25.
Extra funding for social services and affordable housing
- The Government of Alberta subsidizes social services and affordable housing programs that operate at the municipal level.
Police Service Regulation
- This regulation, in accordance with the Police Act, governs the discipline and performance of duty of police officers (i.e., Calgary Police Service).
As you can see, there are lots of ways that provincial politics impact our city and the development of our communities.
With a provincial election happening right now, it’s important to inform yourself about how provincial platforms affect the City of Calgary and to vote accordingly.
Want to know where to vote in the provincial election?